Susan Emig was a brilliant musician and certainly an inspiration to all who had the pleasure to work with her. When her valiant battle with cancer ended November 24, 2002, it was decided to create a scholarship fund in Susan's name that would be awarded to a graduating Merrillville senior pursuing post-secondary education in music or the performing arts.
If you would like to contribute to this most worthy fund, please send your donations to:
MHS Choir Boosters Susan Emig Scholarship
C/O Melinda Reinhart
276 East 68th Place
Merrillville, Indiana 46410
Please make checks payable to
MHS Choir Boosters.
Congratulations to the Class of 2005 recipient of the Susan Emig Scholarship, Jenni Festa!
SUSAN EMIG MEMORIAL MUSIC SCHOLARSHIP
The Susan Emig Memorial Music Scholarship will be awarded yearly to a graduating Merrillville High School Choir Member pursuing post-secondary education in the field of music (preferably music education).
The scholarship will be funded through box office receipts from the March "Contest" Concert as well as private and corporate donations in Mrs. Emig's name to the MHS Choir Boosters. The amount of the scholarship will be at least $500 and no more than $1000 yearly.
The MHS Choir Boosters will award the check to the recipient upon proof of
acceptance and registration of classes in music/music education at the
The scholarship may be renewable if funds exist. Reapplication is not necessary; however, proof of continuance in music education/music will be.
Applications will be reviewed by the SEMMS committee. The committee will include, but not be limited to, Mr. Emig, Mrs. Reinhart and a Choir Booster member from each grade level 9-11.
The scholarship will be evaluated on the following items:
- MHS Choir Activities
- ISSMA participation, school musical, concert set construction, etc.
- Extra-Curricular School Activities
- sports, clubs, student government, etc.
- Community Service/Activities
- 4-H, community theatre, church groups. food shelters, etc.
- Honors and Awards received
- Grade Point Average/Class Standing
- Proof of acceptance to the School of Music of a post-secondary institution
- Letters of Recommendation (2)
- Teachers (other than MHS Choral Department personnel), MHS administration/guidance, club sponsors, church, community members, etc.
- Interview/Performance Audition for Scholarship committee
- Essay - How have your experiences in choir affected your life?
- 1 typed page, double spaced, no smaller that 12 point font
Applications will be made available by March 15 and will be due by May 1 for consideration.