On Tuesday, September 2nd, the Choir Boosters held their first monthly meeting in the choir room at 7:00 PM. Minutes from the meeting are now online. Items discussed included: audit, Susan Emig scholarship fund, Summer Choir Camp, upcoming potluck, Justin Kolb concert, committees (chairpersons announced), reserved concert seating, and upcoming "Dates to Remember"
MHS CHOIR BOOSTERS
MEETING MINUTES - 9/2/2003
The meeting was called to order by President, Dave Festa.
The Choir Booster officers (Dave Festa - President, Debbie Nieman - Vice President, Alex Ternes - Secretary, Elena Rojo - Treasurer) and Choir Staff (Roger Emig, Melinda Reinhart, and Robin Childress) were introduced.
- Ending balance for 2002/03 was $4,571.23.
- A Savings Account was established for the Susan Emig Scholarship Fund. $2,248.27 was transferred into the new account from the general fund. The Scholarship Fund has accrued interest and is now $2,249.37.
- Summer Choir Camp: Two deposits totaling $1,905 were made. $75 in registration fees is still outstanding. Expenses totaled $1,797.36.
- New balance of the general fund is $1,547.25.
Minutes from the May 6, 2003 meeting were read and accepted.
- Audit - no discrepancies were found. Deposit errors caused by Bank One have all been corrected.
- Susan Emig Scholarship Fund - separate savings account opened for the fund. All Box Office proceeds from the March Contest Concert will be used to fund the scholarship.
- Summer Choir Camp - green grapes were a big hit with the healthy appetites of the girl campers - next year the boys get to have snacks first! Forty-one students attended camp including 4 freshmen! Hopes are for a bigger and better camp next year.
- Volunteers are needed to visit school administrators to discuss continued funding of fine arts programs.
- Pot Luck - Saturday, 9/6/03 from 4 to 6 p.m. Will use phone tree to contact all choir parents. Seniors and sophomores are to bring a covered main dish; juniors bring a salad or veggie and freshmen are on for desserts (which include, but are not limited to, brownies with walnuts).
- Justin Kolb Concert - scheduled for Sunday, 9/21/03 at 3 p.m. This is the big fund raiser for the year. Tickets will be on sale at the 9/6 Pot Luck. Mr. Kolb is a world renowned pianist - learn more at www.justinkolb.com. Mr. Kolb has supplied flyers and letters to ~115 local acquaintances. Other advertising includes:
Students will be expected to sell 2 tickets. Top selling students will receive cash prizes: #1 - $100, #2 - $75, #3 - $50, #4 - $25.
- WFMT (98.7 FM) may trade Public Service Announcements in return for volunteers for their annual call-in fund raiser.
- Will contact Channel 56 for interview with Mr. Emig
- Have received corrected press release that will be sent to Merrillville Chamber of Commerce, Town Center, Post Tribune and The Times
- Please forward choir (past and present) articles to Tom Dobes for Web Site publishing. E-mail Tom at email@example.com.
- Committees - reviewed descriptions for all committees. Fifty-five committee helpers have volunteered to date with more coming in. The following volunteered to be committee chairpersons:
Committee chairpersons and helper spreadsheet will be posted on the Web site.
- Box Office - Debbie Elser
- Programs - Debbie Niemen
- Concessions - Elena Rojo
- Supervision - Steve Hartford and Scott Ehlers
- Costumes - Marilyn Zweig
- Phone Tree - Melinda Reinhart
- Choral Library - Juanita Ehlers with help from Ms. Cameron
- Showcase - Julie Birmingham
- Publicity - Dave Festa
- Set Construction - Scott Ehlers
- Presentation Flowers - Rita Ratley
- Costumes - sizing and ordering must begin very soon.
- Reserved seating at concerts - will determine feasibility.
- Dates to remember:
- Welcome Back Pot Luck - 9/6/03 4-6 p.m. in the Hall of Flags
- Justin Kolb Fundraiser/Concert - 9/21/03 3 p.m.
- Choir Boosters Meeting - 10/7/03 7 p.m.
- Choir Boosters Meeting - 11/4/03 7 p.m.
- Choir Boosters Meeting - 12/2/03 7 p.m.
- Our Lady of Consolation Service - 12/6/03
- Band Winter Concert - 12/9/03 7 p.m.
- Northwest Indiana Symphony at Star Plaza - 12/11/03
- Orchestra Holiday Concert - 12/11/03 7 p.m.
- Choir Winter Concert - 12/18/03 7:30 p.m.
- Choir Boosters Meeting - 1/6/04 7 p.m.
- ISSMA District Vocal Solo Contest - TBA
- Choir Boosters Meeting - 2/3/04 7 p.m.
- MHS Revue - 2/11-12/04 7 p.m.
- ISSMA State Vocal and Piano Contest - Indianapolis 2/21/04
- Choir Boosters Meeting - 3/2/04 7 p.m.
- Java & Jazz Concert - 3/5/04 7p.m. at Pierce Middle School
- MHS Choir Pre-Contest Convert - 3/16/04 7:30 p.m.
- Choir Spring Trip - 4/5-?/04 - Destination Unknown
- Choir Boosters Meeting - 4/13/04 7 p.m.
- Orchestra Pre-Festival Concert - 4/22/04 7 p.m.
- Spring Play "Romeo and Juliet" - 5/1,7,8/04 7 p.m. 5/2/04 2 p.m.
- Choir Boosters Meeting (Election of Officers) - 5/4/03 7 p.m.
- MHS Band Spring Concert - 5/11/04 7 p.m.
- Orchestra Concert - 5/13/04 7 p.m.
- MHS Choir "Spring Concert" - 5/20/04 7:30 p.m.
- MHS Choir Banquet - 6/1/04 6 p.m. TBA
Next meeting will be held October 7, 2003 at 7 p.m.